Requirements for B.S.N. Program Admission
Requirements and procedures to follow for admission to the four-year B.S.N. program are as follows:
- Obtain admission to NMSU as a regular student.
- Contact the pre-nursing advisor in the College of Health and Social Services for complete Nursing Program information and advisement.
- Satisfy NMSU basic academic competency requirements in English and Math.
- Complete prerequisite coursework before final admission to the nursing major.
- Prerequisite science courses must have been completed within the past seven years.
- Achieve a grade of C- or better in each nursing prerequisite course.
- Achieve a competitive minimum prerequisite GPA of 2.75 which includes grades earned from all higher education institutions.
- Prelicensure applicants to the NMSU School of Nursing are required to take a standardized admission exam and to obtain a satisfactory score prior to application to the nursing major.
- Applicants will be considered for admission to the nursing major during the fall or spring semester of anticipated completion of prerequisite coursework or after prerequisite courses are completed. Applicants for fall semester admission may not finish prerequisites in the summer session immediately preceding the fall semester in which they wish to be admitted.
- Application deadlines each year are:
February 1st—for consideration for Fall admission to the nursing major
September 1st—for consideration for Spring admission to the nursing major
NOTE: Admission is competitive and available seats are limited. Priority for admission will be given to applicants with the highest GPAs in the required prerequisite coursework, scores on the standardized admission exam, and to New Mexico residents.
Any applicant not admitted to the nursing major may reapply.
Second Degree : BSN (Pathway option) or the Accelerated 2nd Degree (Roadrunner option)
Requirements and procedures for admission to the two second degree options are as follows:
- Obtain admission to NMSU as a second bachelor's degree-seeking student with official transcripts
- Contact the pre-nursing advisors in the School of Nursing Advising Center for advisement on program application and admission.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in first bachelor's degree
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in the required pre-requisite Anatomy and Physiology or A&P I and A&P II (8 credits), third science course (3 credits in BIOL, MOLB, CHEM, or PHYS), a Pathophysiology course (3- 4 credits) and Statistics (3 credits). Roadrunner applicants must also obtain a B or better in all prerequisites. All courses must be completed before submitting a nursing application and must not be older than 7 years.
- Roadrunner students are admitted once a year, in the summer. Pathway option students are admitted in spring or fall semesters. Submit an official application to the second degree option to the School of Nursing Advising Center by February 1st, for consideration for summer Roadrunner admissions. Submission dates for Pathway students are February 1st for fall admission, or September 1st for spring admission to the nursing program.
- Complete a resume documenting prior education and work experience.
- A Medical Terminology Course is recommended
- Applications are considered only after all requested documentation is received by the pre-nursing Advisors.
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
A grade of C- or better is required for all courses in the curriculum. Students must also complete six elective credits from the Part III Viewing a Wider World general education category.
Math basic academic skills requirement must be satisfied.