DEGREE: Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Industrial engineers design, develop, install and improve integrated systems. This could be for people, equipment, information, financial resources, software, materials or energy. Industrial engineers work in a variety of manufacturing, health care, utility, retail, government and research settings, therefore the tools and methods of the industrial engineer are both varied and broad. They use knowledge and skills in engineering, mathematics, and physical and social sciences. Industrial engineers also use principles and methods of engineering analysis and design to monitor and improve such systems. New Mexico State University’s undergraduate degree program in Industrial Engineering prepares students to join the work force or pursue graduate education while setting the foundation for life-long learning.
Specifically, graduates of the program will be:
- able to apply various industrial engineering techniques in an integrated fashion to solve real world problems in process design and/or improvement;
- able to obtain meaningful employment or enroll in a graduate program; and
- prepared for a long-term, successful career sustained by life-long learning experiences
In addition, the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, Inc. criteria in conjunction with the Institute of Industrial Engineers, requires that:
- baccalaureate degree graduates will be able to demonstrate the ability to design, develop, implement and improve integrated systems that include people, materials, information, equipment and energy;
- industrial engineering curriculums include in-depth instruction allowing students to accomplish the integration of systems using appropriate analytical, computational and experimental practices; and
- that faculty teaching in industrial engineering departments show evidence of understanding professional practice and maintain currency in their respective professional areas. Program faculty must have responsibility and sufficient authority to define, revise, implement and achieve program objectives.